Lidl Powerfix Chisels Back in Stock

Home Forums General Woodworking Lidl Powerfix Chisels Back in Stock

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nikolaj33
    Participant

Lidl’s chisels are back in stock if anyone is looking for them.

I am new to woodworking and this is the first time that I have been looking at them. I am not too sure if maybe they have dropped their standards a bit. I was looking at a couple dozen packs trying to find a decent looking one. SOme chisels looked burnt at the bevel, or chipped. It was really hard to decide which ones to pick. FInally, when I got home I realized that I haven’t picked the best pack. SOme looked chipped at the top of the bevel, which I guess will be fixed after an hour or so of sharpening.

One of the chisels looked like its not really sitting right in the bolster.

Yet another, which I will show a picture of, has ridiculously different sizes of side bevels. I am aware that side bevels dont matter that much, but when the difference is so huge, I can’t help but wonder if in this case it might matter in fact.

Please don’t get me wrong. I know I am sounding whiny, but that is not my intention. Like I said, having never seen this chisels before, I am wondering if this is what they are supposed to look, or should I go back to Lidl and try to get a slightly better pack. I am not sure if this is as good as they get, or the standards got dropped in which case we might expect Paul to soon start nostalgically reminiscing about the ‘Lidl chisels of old’:)

Keith Walton
    Participant

The aldi chisels at first glance this year had me wondering, these are what all the fuss is about? our of square edges, chunks of finish everywhere, flat face of chisel not in line with handle, some tangs not seated completely parallel in the handle.i bought a few sets for home, work and coworkers, but if you happened to get a few of these issues in the same pack it would be a bummer. that said. refinished the handles, sharpened up, and they work really well for $7. I dont even notice the handle angle offset.

Nikolaj33
    Participant

Is there any way to fix how the tang is sitting in the handle?

Michael Evans
    Participant

I bought some of the Aldi chisels starting about four years ago and have made it a point to pick up sets ever since when they became available. I buy them, tune them up and then pass them on to other woodworkers (particularly beginners) as gifts. My experience has been that the wooden handled chisels are still very good basic chisels even though the quality has slipped just ever so slightly. My guess is that the manufacturer is small and that the demand for their product has pushed them to accept more minor flaws. While the fit and finish is slightly below some of the big box store offerings, the overall design and the quality of the steel is clearly superior and the finished product is much better suited to bench woodworking. Many things about any hand tool are subjective and I find the Aldi chisels as good as many of the higher priced tools. So what if there are minor chips in the edge? A few seconds on the grinder or stone and you are back to perfect edge. The wooden handled Harbor Freight chisels (marked Chromium Vanadium) are a decent alternative and are clearly superior to the big box store offerings. I own some high-end chisels (along with many antiques)and, to be truthful, I have never found any of the differences between the brands mentioned and the expensive chisels to mean anything when it came to use. Have fun.

Michael Evans
    Participant

I have owned at least twenty sets of the Aldi chisels and have never had an issue with the handles being out of line, however. I have had the issue with some other chisels. On those I pulled the handle to determine if the issue was with the handle or the tang. In a case of a badly drilled handle you can either make a new one or plug and re-drill the old one. If it is an issue with the tang then you have to either straighten it (bending in a vise, maybe after heating it with a torch) or drilling an offset hole in a handle to match the offset in the tang (difficult to do correctly). Have fun.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.