Reply To: starting from scratch

Home Forums General Woodworking starting from scratch Reply To: starting from scratch

Brian
Participant

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of reply, but thanks so much for the thoughtful responses! I’ve been busy with a big life move, but I’m on the tail end of moving in now, with woodworking constantly on my mind. I’ve since bought Mr. Sellers’ book, Essential Woodworking Hand Tools, and I just won an eBay auction for a rusty Stanley Bailey No.4 plane, so I’m certainly taking steps to start constructing a little shop area.

I’m going to start by building trestles. I don’t think I have the space or permanence to build Mr. Sellers’ full sized workbench, so I’m going to brainstorm more modular options. I was thinking of building a bench top with recesses that could utilize the trestles as legs, and then building a smaller workbench with attached vise that could be clamped to that surface. I’ll be trading the rigidity of a full scale workbench for the ability to easily dismantle and transport my ‘shop’.

Thanks again, tips and help are always welcome, and I’ll be sure to come back to the forums more frequently, hopefully with project updates!