Reply To: Refining Spear & Jackson Saws

Home Forums General Woodworking Refining Spear & Jackson Saws Reply To: Refining Spear & Jackson Saws

Michael Evans
Participant

Hi Joe,

I cannot speak specifically about reworking Spear & Jackson saw handles. The Spear and Jackson saws I own are old enough that the handles were already aesthetically pleasing and are in good condition. I have made new handles for some of my saws and have had to do extensive repair on damaged handles though. Taking the existing handles off shouldn’t be a big challenge and it is well worth the time and effort to ease any work you want to do on them. Find an existing saw pattern you like that will fit within the existing handle profile and copy it. Some coping, scroll saw, or bandsaw work,, along with some rasping and sanding, and you have it made.
Lacquer is often put on tools as a rust preventative and can easily be removed with lacquer thinner and fine steel wool. Regular light oiling and possibly some paste waxing (no silicone) should prevent rusting. If by “branding” you mean a painted brand label then it should come off with the lacquer. If you mean an etched name then you will actually have to remove metal down to the bottom of the etch and that normally means abrasives. If it is etched I would just focus on the quality of the work it can do and strive to ignore the bad decoration. “Pretty” may be an inspiration, but it doesn’t do the work and the wood doesn’t care. Have fun.